GREENPEACE BELGIUM REFUGE TO TAKE ACTION AGAINST THE
DESPITE OF INTERNATIONAL DEMAND
The Belgian Platform Environment and Health regret that Greenpeace Belgium not want to support our actions against the building of the new waste incinerator of INDAVER at Beveren in Belgium. We regret also that Greenpeace Belgium not take any action against the building of this new waste incinerator in Belgium.
We asked the President of Greenpeace Belgium for help in a first E-mail on April 24 2001. We never got a written answer from greenpeace Belgium. A few weeks later we contacted the toxic campaigner Martin Besieux. After this contact it became clear for us that greenpeace Belgium not wanted to do any thing against the building of the new incinerator.
In October 2001 we were the only organisation (with the cooperation of a local environment organisation ABLLO) who made official objection against the building of the new waste incinerator. Greenpeace Belgium did nothing.
In April 2002 the responsible Flemish green environment minister rejected our objections. At this moment we have only the time till June 15 2002 to go in appeal by the supreme administrative court of Belgium. The Belgian Platform Environment and Health has not the money to go in appeal. So we did two things :
- We wrote a second E-mail on April 24 2002 to Greenpeace Belgium asking to act against the new incinerator.
Final greenpeace Belgium wrote an E-mail to us on April 26 2002 saying that :
- our first E-mail never reached the campaign department of GP-Belgium caused due bad working of the administrative department of GP-Belgium.
- asking international groups to ask greenpeace Belgium for help, is for greenpeace Belgium the same as put them in the wrong and harm the image of GP-Belgium. This is also in the opinion of GP-Belgium a reprehensible practice.
- in the opinion of GP-Belgium we were suggesting that GP-Belgium is not active against waste incineration and also suggesting that GP-Belgium not to want support our demand for support.
- GP-Belgium refuge to inform us about any plans.
This reaction of greenpeace Belgium amazed us. We only asked greenpeace Belgium to take action against this new waste incinerator, what they never did. So saying that greenpeace Belgium not took action against the new waste incinerator is the truth! In her letter Greenpeace Belgium refuge to mention what they really do, to prevent the building of the new waste incinerator : NOTHING.
In 2002 even a member of Greenpeace Belgium, Bart Martens (also coordinator of the Flemish main environmental organisation BBL) asked us to withdrawn our appeal by the supreme administrative court of Belgium!
In an E-mail of May 30,2003 Greenpeace Belgium confirm again that "they will not take any action against the new Indaver's Fluidised Bed Incinerators". I have to state that in the meantime and without recognizing us, a member of Greenpeace named Bart Martens, was and is negotiating with the Flemish government to exchange the withdrawing of the procedure by the court in change of some peanuts.
The support of Greenpeace Belgium is far away.
Fred De Baere
Vlaams Platform Milieu en Gezondheid
B 9100 Nieuwkerken Waas
tel. en fax : 03 766 12 02
E-mail : email@example.com
Website : www.milieugezondheid.be